Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Feelin' Stupid Part 5


I listen to all sorts of music. It basically depends on what I’m doing that determines which type. For the most part, I listen to indie-type stuff on a day to day basis. By the way, this isn’t going to be a stupid post about music like before (admittedly, my worst post… ever). When I go to the gym, I listen to mostly electronic, pop, and rap. I was getting warmed up on the elliptical machine and was listening to Runaway by Kanye West. Here it is in case you don’t know:



Near the beginning of the song, he says, “See, I could have me a good girl and still be addicted to them hood rats.” Hood rat is a common term in rap songs, and as a fan of Dave Chappelle, I’m familiar with the term. It never crossed my mind what hood rat means. I always kind of took it literally. In my head, I always imagined a less than savory, ratish type of woman sitting on the hood of a car, like this:



When I was working out today and listening to this song, it crossed my mind that it means ‘hood rat (a la Boyz in the ‘Hood) – ‘hood like a neighborhood. Either this is just a sign that as a white man I’ll always be slow with this kind of stuff or I’m just getting old and slang comes harder to me. Regardless, hood rat or ‘hood rat, I knew it was something insulting, and that’s what’s important, right?
By the way, get off my lawn you damn kids!

4 comments:

  1. Your hood rat is quite fetching although she could use a little more "support" and nice girls don't sit with their legs all spraddled out.

    Now I need to leave and watch a hilarious episode of the Golden Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's not a nice girl! She's a 'hood rat! Boobs flopping around and legs open for business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I imagined the hood rat to be more of a permanent fixture on the car. A la road kill or that thing that's on the front of expensive cars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. Like it's the new thing. "Girl, I got me a new Mercedes. Hood rat and everything."

    ReplyDelete